Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Week 5 - Video, photos and other media Pt 2

So for this week's exercise we were to browse through YouTube and post a video. After trawling through YouTube and the piles of random and sometimes misleading videos (I find a lot of videos from YouTube are listed as one thing in their title yet they actually show something completely different - perhaps an example of what searching for a topic on the web is like?)
I have chosen an old favourite for this exercise, Lee LeFever, director (?) of the 'Commoncraft' videos - I think that we have watched one of his videos before - but I think they are nonetheless excellent in laying down the main points of an issue in information management/internet/web 2.0. I had viewed some of his videos regarding wikis and social networking, but felt that this one was the most appropriate to embed in my blog as part of this exercise in the sense that it is breaking down blogs/blogging. In this video, LeFever states that most of us may know about blogs or have one of our own, but may not necessarily know much else about them. I think that is an important point with a lot of new technology; most of us have heard of different programs and applications but may not necessarily not know much else about them other than how to use it. Certainly for this week's exercise, I did not know how to embed a video in a blog, though I knew that it could be done. Furthermore, I did not know that it would be that easy to do. Most people are aware of YouTube and know how to searh for a topic within the site, but I wonder how many people are aware how easy it is/or even know how to embed a video within a blog. For me, this was a realisation that even something that you hear so often discussed and view regularly can still have functions that we (or myself at least) might not know about.

Part 2 of this weeks' exercise was to add a link onto your blog with some photos attached from a site. The following photos have been added onto my Flickr page and I have added links to a few of the photos below. This was a bit of trial and error to make this happen as I initially just added the image, obviously not the point of adding a link to the photos in the first place... After working out how to create a link, there was a bit of trial and error involved in just creating the link for the image only and not the image as seen on my Flickr page. Once I had this worked out it was simple to add these images so I hope that you like them!

Link to photos added on Flickr:

River at Airey's Inlet
Sunset at the Floating Village of Tonle Sap
Sunset in Sihanoukville
Tour boat in Sihanoukville
Floating Village
Beachfront at Sihanoukville

2 comments:

  1. I am also constantly discovereing new functions for the various internet tools available. For instance I thought I new everything about creating a link but I did not know that you could create a link that only allows access to a single image on your flickr page. Just goes to show that we often learn best through trial and error. I'll now go away and have a go at creating such a link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know that it was not just me that had a few issues with that!!
    I think that it is amazing how much we think we know about something and are comfortable using it regularly, yet most often we barely tap the level of capabilities that each of these systems and new forms of technology has.

    ReplyDelete